Leaving your home can be an emotional time for you and your family, even more so if you’re leaving to go into residential care. It’s a big decision and it can be costly. Sometimes, selling your house quickly may seem like the best solution for funding long-term care.

Selling a home before you go into care
Selling a home before you go into care


The cost of care for a loved one can be a worry for many families – around 135,000 people in the UK are admitted into care each year, most commonly as the result of an accident or other health crisis.

So what options are available for helping to fund your own or a loved one’s care costs?

Care needs assessment

It’s a good idea to first consider a care needs assessment, which is a way to get support from your local authority. You might like to talk to your local authority adult social services department, where a social worker can advise you on what kind of home might best meet your care needs. The NHS also has some useful information about care needs assessment on its assessing your care and support web page.

If your council agrees that you qualify for support, you can speak to them about a financial assessment to find out if your local authority should help you pay for your fees – the value of your property will be taken into account.


Property disregard

Moving into residential care could happen suddenly, or unexpectedly, because of an accident or health crisis. If this happens, an assessment of the cost of your first 12 weeks of care does not include the value of your home. This is called the 12-Week Property Disregard.

It gives you and your family some breathing space – time to think about your situation and decide whether you want to stay in care permanently, without the pressure of having to sell your house straight away.


Deferred payment agreement

If you’ve been unable to sell your home (or decide you don’t want to) when the 12-week period ends, you might consider entering into a Deferred Payment Agreement.

This is an arrangement with the local authority that lets people use the value of their home to pay for care home costs. It’s available to people with savings less than £23,250, which increases to £27,000 in April 2016.

What happens if you’re not eligible for support from your local authority?


Another way to pay for care

Care home costs can be expensive, with fees between £35,000 and £40,000 per year, depending on location, quality of care, and who pays them. Consumer watchdog Which? has useful information and advice about costs on its Care Homes web page.

Such costs can particularly put a strain on those families who have to find and pay for accommodation because their loved ones aren’t able to. In this instance, selling your home and downsizing can help cover these costs.


A quicker way to sell your home

If you’ve just moved into residential care and you’re finding it difficult to sell your home fast in order to pay your fees, you might like to consider an alternative to the traditional estate agency route.

At webuyanyhouse.co.uk we will help ensure you get a quick house sale. We also make selling your house stress-free – taking care of the conveyancing process ourselves.

If you want to know more about our services and the effect they can have take a look at some of our customer success stories.

Back to all articles
Share this article
13 December 2017 | Blog

Can I sell my house to my son for £1?

Over the past few years the government has introduced a variety of Help to Buy schemes to help…

19 September 2017 | Blog

Am I still a first-time buyer if I inherit a property?

With new schemes such as the Help to Buy ISA and easier access to mortgages with smaller deposits,…

4 August 2017 | Blog

How to keep a Property Chain moving

A property chain can often be a fickle but necessary part of selling and buying a home. Regardless…


Get your free property valuation offer

Like you, every property is unique, so we’ll just need a few details before we can make you an offer

Or call us free today on 0808 231 8088

Alternatively you can request a callback